Honorary Consulate of HungarySouthern Alberta and Saskatchewan, Canada

Birth registration


The birth of a child of Hungarian parents which has occurred outside Hungary may be registered with the Hungarian authorities by proper application through the Consular Section of the Hungarian Embassy.

The following forms and documents must be submitted in person at the Hungarian Embassy in Ottawa or at Extramural Consular Days in order to register the birth of a person who was born outside in Hungary and whose parents are Hungarians:

  1. Original or certified copy of birth certificate – i.e. full birth certificate, with complete name of parents. Translation of the birth certificate into Hungarian is required only if the birth certificate is issued in a language other than English.
  2. Completed birth registration application form – (Adatlap születés magyarországi anyakönyvezéséhez);
  3. Completed citizenship assessment form – (Állampolgárság igazolása iránti kérelem);
  4. Proof of parents’ Hungarian nationality – Copy of valid Hungarian passport or identity

    cards. Original must be presented at the time of application;

  5. Original or certified copy of parents marriage certificate:

    a) If the parents of the applicant were married abroad (i.e. not in Hungary):

    The Marriage Registration Form – Adatlap a külföldön megkötött házasság hazai anyakönyvezéséhez – must be completed to register parents’ marriage in Hungary, attaching also the documents evidencing the married parties’ potential Hungarian citizenship (Hungarian birth certificate, passport, ID document, Certificate of Citizenship).

    b) If the parents of the applicant were not married at the time of the applicant’s birth:

    A special declaration form – Apasági nyilatkozat – must be completed and signed by both parents, recognizing the parenthood of the child. If the applicant is an adult (18 years or more) he/she also has to sign the form to acknowledge acceptance of being recognized as a child of the father.

    Suite 200, 1115 – 11th Avenue SW • Calgary, AB • Canada T2R 0G5 TEL: +1.403.229.4800 • FAX: +1.403.245.0569

E-mail: info@hungarianconsulate.com

c) If the parents’ marriage was dissolved (by divorce or death) prior the applicant’s birth:

The original Divorce Decree (Absolute decree), death certificate or other evidence of the dissolution of marriage must be submitted.

  1. Fee payable by money order to the Embassy of Hungary;
  2. Prepaid and self-addressed Xpresspost envelope


Please complete the application forms according to Hungarian usage (name order: family name, first name; date order: year/month/day; use accents).

All non-Hungarian documents issued in a language other than English must be translated into Hungarian before they are submitted to the Hungarian Embassy. Translations can be done by anyone speaking Hungarian (as long as they are typewritten), as the translation must be certified by the Hungarian Embassy. Please note that the document must be translated in its entirety. It must be exact, accurate and conform to the rules of the Hungarian language.

Only completed application forms will be accepted and all applications must submitted in person at the Hungarian Embassy in Ottawa or at Extramural Consular Days.


Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar