Calgary, Canada

Obtaining a Hungarian Passport

During the COVID-19 Pandemic new office protocols and procedures will be in place at the Consulate. Visits to the Consular offices must be made by appointment only. Please contact the office by the Contact us form and we will contact you to make an appointment and provide further instructions. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Obtaining a Hungarian Passport

Procedures to obtain and renew a Hungarian passport

As a member of the European Union, the Hungarian passport authority is issuing second generation (biometric) e-passports with electronically scanned fingerprints for applicants aged more than 12 years old.

Information on how to obtain or renew a Hungarian passport can be found at Passport application.

Information on how to obtain or renew a Hungarian passport for children under 12 years old.
Fingerprints will be taken electronically at the time of the application, therefore passport applications must be submitted in person at the Hungarian Embassy in Ottawa or at Extramural Consular Days. Passport application form and photographs are not required.

Appointments are required and can be scheduled online at

The following forms and documents are required for a passport application or renewal:

1. Proof of Hungarian citizenship:

  • Valid Hungarian passport or expired within maximum one year, or
  • Valid Hungarian national ID card, or
  • Valid Hungarian citizenship certificate;
  • A certificate of naturalization, until proven otherwise.
  • The registry of personal data and addresses.
If you do not have any of the above documents, you will need to submit the citizenship verification application form “Állampolgárság igazolása iránti kérelem”.

2. Proof of identification:

  • Valid passport (Hungarian or other), or
  • Valid driver’s licence (Hungarian or Canadian);
  • Valid Hungarian ID card.
If you are recently married and wish to apply for a passport in your married name, you must also attach your original marriage certificate. Marriages concluded abroad must also be registered in Hungary. You can apply for a passport in your married name only if your marriage has been registered in Hungary. In this case, please submit full marriage certificate with translation into Hungarian and the marriage registration form “ADATLAP a külföldön kötött házasság hazai anyakönyvezéséhez”.

3. Self-addressed and prepaid Xpresspost envelope

4. Passport fee

The fee can be paid in cash or money order payable to the Embassy of Hungary. Consular fees are listed at Konzuli díjak 2018.


If you hold a current and valid Hungarian passport, it is important to submit your passport renewal application before your current passport expires, as the valid passport is proof of your Hungarian citizenship.

Hungarian Simplified Naturalization

Official Forms

Hungarian Resources & Links

Canadian Resources & Links

Government Links

Hungarian Embassies Around the World